Lunchbox Tips and Tricks
Involving children in meal and lunch box preparation is a great way to develop their independence and help them learn food skills. It also helps them develop a greater appreciation for foods like vegetables and fruit.(1, 2)
- Choose food options that are easy to eat with your fingers, such as apples, clementines, fruit sauce or a handful of blueberries.
- Prepare food ahead of time: cut up fruits and vegetables, cook pasta, rice, or quinoa.
- Use leftovers from the day before to save time and avoid waste.
- Vary the presentation: raw vegetables & dip, sautéed vegetables, soup and vegetable juice in a thermos, fruit salad, fruit sauce in a pouch.
(1) Canada’s Food Guide. https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/
(2) Canada’s pediatricians. Caring for kids. Healthy snacks for children. https://caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/healthy-living/healthy_snacks_for_children